With coffee and a portrait coming up next week here’s some tips to help you look & feel your best for your head shots. If you’re a professional & don’t have a professional photo to represent you, people may conclude you don’t take your career seriously and that you may not be very professional yourself. Let’s remedy this.
Here’s my top 10 tips to prepare for your professional portrait to look & feel your best.
1. Wear clothes that represent your career and are appropriate for your work place. This is different if you work in an office or if you are a travel blogger. Dress appropriately to best represent your profession.
2. Solid colours are always best in photos. Avoid large logos or words. Patterns can be distracting and draw attention away from your face.
3. Avoid red and yellow as they can reflect unflattering colours back onto your skin. When in doubt, chose a colour that matches or brings out your eyes. If you are fair skinned do not wear a solid white shirt – it will make you look pale. Wearing white under another colour layered or a suit jacket is fine.
4. Chose clothes that are comfortable and you feel great in. Clothes should be clean & fit well. Not too loose or too tight, it will be more obvious in the photos. Avoid turtlenecks as they can make you look like you have no neck. Likewise avoid tops with deep cleavage baring v-necks. They distract from your face & professionalism.
5. Take a few minutes to do your hair before the shoot. Smooth down fly aways & style it how you like it, it will make a big difference in the photos. If you can get your hair professionally styled – do it.
6. If you’re wearing make up – emphasize your favourite feature. A little more makeup than normal for the photos is fine – but keep it fairly natural & don’t go overboard, it won’t look & feel like you. If you can get your makeup professionally done for the shoot – do it.
7. Check your hands & nails. There is a good chance your hands may get into a few photos. Make sure your nails are trimmed & neat. If you wear nail polish – touch it up – no chips.
8. Hydrate by drinking lots of water the day before & the day of your professional photo shoot. It helps make your skin look it’s best & fill in wrinkles.
9. Sleep – get your 8 hours in the night before your photo shoot. You want to look as well rested & as relaxed as possible.
10. Smile! A smiling photo always makes you look more approachable, trustworthy & likeable.
Interested in a professional portrait shoot? Check out more on our pro portrait page here.